Thursday, January 31, 2008

ich liebe geheim Algebra

It is rather annoying to have too many of these ridiculous problems to do. Seriously, I know how to do them so why do I need to do so many in one lesson? 5[3(x+2)+4]+2x=67 or 4x+3[7+2(x-3)]=83 Its funny, they always remind me to eliminate the innermost parentheses first when distributing. Its not as though I haven't done like, 40 of these problems (or more) already. its good to wow younger brothers though.

I had this word problem yesterday,

In the recent survey, 5/8 of the Siamese cats said they didn't mind having to lap water from a bowl, but another 3/16 admitted they would have preferred to use a straw instead. If 39 of the Siamese cats gave one of these answers, how many were surveyed in total? (48 Siamese cats).

Or today,

Deirdre is a member of a very small and deliberately low profile organization called Algebra Lovers Anonymous. She paid $10 in dues for each of her first 3 years as a member and $2 in dues each year after that. If Deirdre has paid a total of $38 in dues, for how many years has she paid $2 in dues?


I am going to the library later.

18 comments:

PJ said...

Sarah trust me consumers math is so much more meaningful and understandable. And a lot more fun when the class is unable to answer the easy question he gave them.

zorg said...

if you translate my title then you will know how i really feel about algebra. i was going to do consumers math, like we were looking at it as a possibility but i was having trouble with math then and we got the teaching textbook.

PJ said...

LOL thats funny. wow. ok then have fun.

zorg said...

yes, but remember its a secret nobody knows. shhhhh.

Granny Kate said...

I knew "ich liebe" but had to look up "geheim". I wonder what teaching textbook geometry would be like. Perhaps you would be investigating the size of the straws in comparison to ...

McIntyre just leaped onto the desk from somewhere above me! Startled me!

... the size of the bowls, then you could go onto physics with problems that compare the rate of water taken in by lapping with the rate of water taken in by sucking through straws. Of course, you would have to assume that all the cats lap or suck at the same rate.

Anonymous said...

i really did like algebra one. for me it was fun. didn't much care for algebra two, though.

zorg said...

i think i'm gonna take of the anonymous and nick names and only have blogger ID.

zorg said...

i think i'm gonna take of the anonymous and nick names and only have blogger ID.

PJ said...

LOL more of the double comment maybe you should fix that too.

Anonymous said...

hehe I like the one about the cats

Anonymous said...

what?! and ruin all my fun?! but i've never done this before. i just wanted to see what it was like to have the fun of fooling you.

and i really did enjoy algebra one all those years ago when i did it.

zorg said...

ok, i wont do that:)would you tell me who are you? or do I need to start another guessing game? which wouldn't be too bad, i haven't had a guessing game for awhile.

Anonymous said...

Hint number 2: I have my own blog.

Anonymous said...

i just started to do [] and {} and i is easy {so far} what does he title say? and the person that is fooling with you have found out who it is

zorg said...

um, guy or girl? and is it a blog that I know?

Anonymous said...

from what i can figure, you've looked at my blog. how frequently, i can't say at the moment. guy or girl? not sure how to answer that. neither is used to refer to me. as hint #1 implied, i am not from your generation.

Anonymous said...

i posted on worms splat

zorg said...

ah, I see, are you mr or mrs? what is your blog like? you know, some kind of distinguishing feature.